Inspired by Aaron's earlier post about his Art Hop mix, I decided to share a playlist that currently lives on my iPod devices. I originally developed this mix for my dad; it's an attempt to sample a range of current artists that he might like (based on his affinity for pedal steel guitars and Commander Cody). That's right. I'm 27 years old and the best I can do for my dad is hand him a burned CD with 'cool' music on it. And oh yeah, speaking of PhotoAup, did you know that you can follow him on Twitter at @FKA_viD? Yeah, really.
Anyway, this playlist has been a go to solution in many situations.
- Driving from Philadelphia to Washington DC and bored with all your music? Alt-Country-Indie.
- Morning coffee at a cabin in the Cascade Mountains with mixed company? Alt-Country-Indie.
- 5 hour cross country flight? Alt-Country-Indie. Well, you'll need that, a cocktail, a bag of pretzels and hopefully a seat-mate that is reading something interesting for you to nonchalantly glance at.
- Page France - Chariot
- Okkervil River - Lost Coastlines
- These United States - First Sight
- The Avett Brothers - Paranoia In B Major
- Fleet Foxes - Blue Ridge Mountains
- Lightspeed Champion - Number One
- Lightspeed Champion - Galaxy of the Lost
- Shugo Tokumaru - La La Radio
- Eels - Railroad Man
- The Flaming Lips - Mr. Ambulance Driver
- Fleet Foxes - He Doesn't Know Why
- The Dodo's - Walking
- The Dodo's - Red and Purple
- Cotton Jones - I Don't Suppose
- The Avett Brothers - Shame
- Grand Archives - A Setting Sun
- Lightspeed Champion - Everyone I Know Is Listening to Crunk
- Fleet Foxes - English House
- Sea Wolf - Leaves In the River
I consciously repeated a few bands to add a little consistency to the mix. On a recent drive from Mt. Baker to Seattle, Sharat (the well established music taste maker) actually asked "who's this band playing?" each time The Avett Brothers came on. Don't tell anybody, but I think he secretly likes them.... shh.
What do you think? This mix awesome/lame? What is everyone out in the BlogMule-sphere listening to these days? Drop us a line and let us know!